Following up on Thing #6, Thing #7 covers the wonderful world of sharing photos across the Internet. These photos can be seen according to the individual’s privacy settings, and surprisingly even the Library of Congress has found neat little ways to make photo sharing educational. With the use of tags, groups, and categories it is possible to find almost any picture posted on the Flickr website.
On my personal quest for pictures I chose to search by date, and I decided to look specifically at my birthday February 6th. I happened across a breath-taking photo of the Milwaukee harbor at sunrise. As an added bonus I would like to point out that I just so happen to be from Milwaukee, WI. This mere coincidence got me thinking about how Flickr could be used in the classroom to view random locations.
Sure, Google Earth can be used to look at places around the globe, but to me these photos always held a sort of still-life quality. By using Flickr students could search tags and see real life from various parts of the world. They could compare and contrast what they see with textbook descriptions and personal bias. The students could even communicate with other users and learn more about a place from a firsthand representative. While this may not exactly pertain to an English class the potential for greatness is still present.
The Picture and the link, and information are posted below :)
*This photo was taken by JWEral
*This photo was taken on February 5, 2011 in Downtown, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, using a Nikon D90. (Posted on February 6, 2011).

No comments:
Post a Comment