Monday, October 3, 2011

Thing #8

This time I’ve gone a little deeper into the world of Flickr and created something wholly new. Mashups are neat little tools that combine various aspects of Flickr and any other app of your choosing. I chose to use the Mosaic Maker and created these neat little photo mosaics by entering tags. While the asthetic quality is loads of fun, and even habit-forming, I think this would be a great way to visualize themes in a novel.

My A.P. Literature teacher gave us “Major Works Data Sheets”. They were specially designed to organize key parts of a novel (theme, character, plot, climax, symbols, etc) so that the students could review all the novels before the big test at the end of the year. So, I had the idea that students could take the assignment one step further and incorporate the Mosaic Maker.
The idea is to let the students pick one of the categories listed on their MWDS and create a mosaic that illustrates the category. It’s an excellent way to get more visuals to students who learn with pictures, and it only takes a few seconds to make. Really, the only extra work involved is LOOKING at the mosaic.

Below are a few examples a student might create using The Lovely Bones. Overall, it seems like it could end up being a really awesome tool to use in the classroom.

Oh, and the link is posted below :)

Setting of the novel:



Symbols from the novel:


Theme from the novel:



No comments:

Post a Comment