Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thing #12



Today I explored even more tools! I’m going to start dreaming in binary code soon enough. (*Haha that was funny for all you nerds out there). Moving on… Google is one of the most fantabulous tools on the Internet, and when you use it, it’s like having tools within tools. For example there is the ever-famous Google Translator. Now, as a Spanish minor I feel inclined to forewarn you that translating entire texts is generally a very bad idea. Meaning is often lost when you do this because the translator cannot always understand the message because its main job is to translate words. Think about it, if professional translators only translated word for word would they get paid so much? No, they have to decipher words and meaning something that really humans are much better at than computers. So, especially if it is for a class, just translate the words that you do not understand and attempt to discern the meaning using context clues. Furthermore, you will actually learn more using brainpower than just translating whole texts.  Even so, this is a great tool that I use often, and if you have never tried it go ahead and give it a shot. No reason to post the link today—just google “google translator”!

The other tool I decided to use is Google Alerts. All you need to do is type in what you want to hear about, and it will automatically email you every time your topic appears in articles, discussions, etc. I decided to use it to track my favorite football team because I often end up doing homework instead of watching my husband Troy play for the Steelers. However, Teachers are of course more than welcome to use this tool to keep up with popular topics circulating their world such as budget cuts, salaries, and educational studies etc. Once again, if you’re interest just google for the alerts and get yourself all set up.

Happy googling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment