Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thing #15

Wiki wiki wiki! That is NOT only the sound a DJ makes when making the club "jump". It is also a very interesting tool used for education. The idea behind wikis, made famous or infamous by Wikipedia, is that users can review, edit, add, or retract information from the wiki. This results in a huge collaborative project which can be incredibly helpful to users wishing to gain insight and perspective. The problem is that incredibly rude people like to post incorrect information as a joke, and some people just plain don't know what they're talking about and unknowingly post crappy information. Thus the dilemma! My advice is to be careful and double check sources.

The wiki I used APSU 23Things Sandbox allows students in Education 3040 classes to showcase their previous blog posts. You have to sign up, but once you do you can just dive right in. I, along with many others, used my Thing #8 post because I think it's cool and has pretty pictures. It's okay to be a little vain when showcasing educational tools! Overall it was a lot of fun, and I can see future students using wikis as a sort of forum. It can be taken as an assignment grade, and every student would have to post an idea or opinion on the current novel being read in class. I would certainly give them all guidelines to help keep them on track, but it could easily be tweaked into a lively discussion board!

What do you think? List your ideas and whatnot below!

No comments:

Post a Comment