Sunday, December 4, 2011

Thing #18

I was probably one of the last of my friends to join Facebook my senior year of high school. This is because I hate change and am honestly kinda lazy and technology has long since been my nemesis. But I trudge on through these blogs and find that while I do not succeed every time, it's nice to be gaining a better technological foundation.

So as far a social networking goes, I am on facebook but am fortunate enough to not be addicted to it. However, my facebook is purely social and therefore private and I will not have it implicated in this educational blog. I do however have a twitter account because of this class and you may view my profile at the following link Adriana's Twitter. While I have never posted a single tweet, I do see the potential to use this social networking site in the classroom. It is important that teachers know how to relate to their students and incorporate the things that students are already using to help facilitate learning. Teachers can use twitter to search for educational feeds to help them gain insights on what other teachers are doing elsewhere. They can converse and follow each other and ultimately become more knowledgeable educators if they use the site properly.

I didn't really learn anything this time around because I already knew how the sites work. I prefer facebook for social reasons--socially twitter is just an easy way for stalkers to know your every move. As far as educational purposes go, I think twitter has the upper hand. It is much more legitimate when it comes to easily locating true sources that interest you. Facebook tends to have a lot of pages that are not what they pretend to be in this respect. But then again, what do I know? So you tell me! Because I admit that I am an extremely biased party in this debate :)

1 comment:

  1. I created a Twitter account years ago, yet I rarely am on it. Frankly, I have a hard time using it. I think it would be neat for Dr. Wall to have future classes create a Google+ account and use that instead of Twitter. Frankly I think it's the next big network, and while it is equally confusing, it gives awesome options of separating out groups of friends into subcategories and from there it knows who sees what posts. Not like Facebook is trying to do, either. It's easier than Facebook. But I digress. Nice Twitter page!

    ReplyDelete